Plymouth Rock Assurance was founded in 1982 as part of the Plymouth Rock Group of Companies. The combined companies within the Plymouth Rock Group of Companies manage over a billion dollars of annual auto and homeowners insurance.
Plymouth Rock Assurance offers personal and business auto policies. Business auto coverage policies differ greatly based on your business needs and risks. On the personal auto side, they currently offer insurance in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and newly added as of 2019 The Empire State, New York.
Car insurance regulations differ greatly within these six states especially in New Hampshire as The Granite State is the only state in the country where auto insurance is not a state requirement.
- Liability – Almost every state requires some form of liability insurance. If you cause an accident, liability coverage includes bodily injury coverage which will assist with the other parties’ medical expenses and property damage. Property damage covers damages caused to another vehicle or any type of property such as a fence or wall.
- Collision and Comprehensive – Collision coverage covers your vehicle if it is involved in an accident regardless of fault. Comprehensive coverage includes damages caused by vandalism, theft, or a storm.
- Medical Payment – Most non-standard insurance carriers do not offer medical payment coverage. This is an optional coverage that will help pay for medical funeral expenses related to an accident regardless of who is at fault.
- Uninsured Motorist – This line of coverage will help if you were injured in an accident and the at-fault driver can’t be identified, doesn’t have valid insurance, or doesn’t carry enough liability coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection – Also known as PIP, this pays the medical and hospital costs for you or your passengers when there’s an auto accident, regardless of who caused the accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage – This pays for injuries or damages when you have an accident with someone who doesn’t have car insurance or doesn’t have enough coverage.
- Transportation Expenses – While your car is being repaired after a covered loss, you receive a rental with no daily expense limit. Your policy also provides coverage while driving your rental replacement vehicle (not available in all states).
- No Deductible – After a covered event, you pay no deductible for replacement of airbags, glass repair or replacement, child safety restraint seat replacement, lock replacement or injury to a pet (coverages vary by state).
A.M. Best Review
A.M Best gives the Plymouth Rock Group of Companies an “A-” rating. In 2018, auto policies account for 97.75% of their total polices. So despite offering home, renters, condo, and umbrella insurances, they focus strictly on auto insurance.
- A multitude of different types of discount options. Some of the more common options are: 5 Years Claims Free, Being a Homeowner, Pay in Full, and being an active member of an approved motor club organization.
- Good online website. Able to manage your policy online and see the price adjustments without needing to speak with an agent.
- Very competitively priced for single driver and auto policies. Especially for those under 30 years old.
- Mobile claims app. Able to complete the claims process on your phone and even obtain an estimate based on photos you take and submit to them.
- Not competitively priced for married couples or drivers over 40.
- The multi-line discount isn’t as significant compared with other insurance carriers.
- Multiple complaints regarding claims handling despite having a mobile claims app. A lack of returning calls and emails is the most common complaint.
- A very regional insurance company.
Across all review websites, the average score for Plymouth Rock Assurance is 3.5 out of 5 stars. It appears their business model caters to younger drivers due to the heavily relied on claims app, website, and most importantly extremely competitive rates for drivers under 30. Younger drivers are more likely to seek online options and tend not to purchase higher liability limits as they have not acquired enough assets yet to warrant paying more for further protection.
If you are a younger driver needing good insurance including first-party coverage (collision and comprehensive) living in the Northeast, Plymouth Rock Assurance is definitely worth looking into. For those with a home, married, and/or over 40 years old, Plymouth Rock Assurance is likely not going to produce a competitive rate. They do not offer the same degree of discounts compared to the larger national insurance carriers for being married or a homeowner and charge more for higher liability limits.