Since opening its doors in 1946, the mission of Shelter Insurance was simple: provide affordable auto insurance to residents of Missouri. Today, more than 70 years later, Shelter is one of the top regional insurance companies in the United States. With more than 1,300 licensed agents in 18 states, Shelter is committed to providing insurance protection for home, auto, life, farm, and business. Every Shelter agent is friendly, professional, and keen on helping to make insurance policies affordable to folks from all walks of life. With a focus on customer service and quickly processing claims, Shelter Insurance continues to grow at break-neck speed.
Types Of Coverages
If you own a car, you need insurance. It really is that simple. Of course, not every coverage option is right for every driver. Shelter offers a variety of coverage options to suit every driver’s unique needs.
Liability – Bodily Injury and Property Damage
Bodily injury coverage can assist in paying the medical bills of any person injured in an accident in which you’re the at-fault party. It can also help with legal fees. Liability-property damage protects can help you to fund repairs or legal fees concerning someone else’s property (ie: running over a fence).
Collision coverage will help you to either fix or replace your vehicle in the event of an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
If you live in the Midwest, you know that unpredictable spring storms can wreak havoc on your vehicle. Comprehensive coverage can help you to pay repairs or replace your vehicle for any cause not covered by collision (ie: fire, flood, hail, or falling objects).
Additional Coverage Options
- Roadside Assistance: With Shelter, roadside assistance is built right into the standard auto insurance policy. Whether your battery dies or your car won’t start, roadside assistance is available 24/7.
- New Car Replacement: Built into the basic Shelter auto policy is a new car replacement. Shelter will replace your totaled vehicle if it has under 15,000 on the odometer. Rather than a used car, Shelter will replace the vehicle with a brand new model of the same year and make.
- Rideshare: Are you taking part in the Gig Economy by driving for Uber or Lyft? Shelter offers rideshare coverage to protect you both on and off the job. Just know that this is not offered in every Shelter state.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: After an accident, rental car fees can add up quickly. Rental car reimbursement is an additional coverage option that will foot the bill for a rental car while your car is being repaired after an accident.
Car insurance premiums can be a major drain on the bank account. Unfortunately, a standard insurance policy is legally required to drive. Luckily, Shelter Insurance offers a few key ways to save money on your car insurance policy. Discounts include:
- Safe driver discount
- Safe driving course discount
- Good student discount
Keep in mind that Shelter may periodically check to make sure you still qualify for the above discounts.
Is Shelter Highly Ranked?
Shelter Insurance has always prided itself on ensuring customer satisfaction. J.D. Power has taken notice. For the last three out of four years, J.D. Power and Associates awarded Shelter as number one in customer satisfaction among all auto insurers in the Central Region of the US. This award directly correlates to positive customer experiences and satisfied policyholders.
Shelter is also rated by A.M. Best. A.M Best is a national firm that rates the financial strength and operating performance of insurance companies across the US. Shelter Insurance consistently receives high rankings from the A.M. Best Company and is currently rated at an A+ (Superior).
What Do Customers Say About Shelter?
At the end of the day, a car insurance company is nothing without the customers who purchase their policies. How do most customers rate Shelter? For the most part, customers frame their experience with Shelter Mutual in an overwhelmingly positive way. One reviewer mentioned “affordable and great quality customer service…quick to help with any and all questions.” Another wrote, “Awesome from the get-go…never had any issues with filing a claim.”
Most customers appreciate that Shelter makes the claims process easy and free of headaches, all while training staff to be attentive and open to any questions. A majority of reviewers are satisfied with the pricing of policies and coverage options. Of course, no car insurance company operates without a few hiccups. A few Shelter reviews mentioned little lee-way when it comes to missed payments or falling behind. Others mentioned that it can be a bit difficult to get through to a customer representative to file a claim.
Pros & Cons
Weighing the pros and cons, Shelter Insurance is a great option for drivers looking for affordable coverage without all of the red-tape that can come along with a national provider.
- Transparent pricing
- Simple claims process
- Clear and easy to use website
- Online payment options
- Flexible billing options
- Variety of coverage options
- 24/7 claims reporting
- Knowledgable representatives
- No rewards system for long time customers
- Zero leeway in missed payments
- Serves a limited number of states
- Not as many driving discounts as bigger insurance firms