Direct Auto Insurance was established on April 10, 1991, as the first insurance carrier under the Direct General Group by William Adair. The goal of Direct Auto was to establish a quality non-standard auto insurance company that cared more about its customers than any other non-standard auto insurance company. Direct Auto is headquartered in Nashville, TN and has expanded their coverage areas across the southeast to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, & Virginia.
Direct Auto specializes in providing non-standard auto insurance. In the auto insurance world, non-standard means “high risk”.
Direct Auto offers more lines of coverage than almost any other non-standard carrier:
- Liability – Almost every state requires some form of liability insurance. If you cause an accident, Liability coverages include Bodily Injury coverage which will assist with the other parties’ medical expenses and property damage. Property damage covers damages caused to another vehicle or any type of property such as a fence or wall.
- Collision and Comprehensive – Collision coverage covers your vehicle if it is involved in an accident regardless of fault. Comprehensive coverage includes damages caused by vandalism, theft, or a storm.
- Medical Payment – Most non-standard insurance carriers do not offer medical payment coverage. This is an optional coverage that will help pay for medical funeral expenses related to an accident regardless of who is at fault.
- Personal Injury Protection – This is very similar to Medical Payment coverage. However, this coverage is state-specific and is required in some states. Also, it is not available in every state.
- Uninsured Motorist – This line of coverage will help if you were injured in an accident and the at-fault driver can’t be identified, doesn’t have valid insurance, or doesn’t carry enough liability coverage.
- Rental Reimbursement – If your vehicle is being repaired or if it is not drivable, this coverage will reimburse you for a fixed amount to obtain a rental car.
- Towing – If the damages from your loss are severe enough to deem your vehicle non-drivable, Towing coverage will reimburse you up to a fixed amount for tow services.
- Accidental Death – This optional coverage would pay $5,000 to your beneficiaries if you passed away from an accident.
In addition to auto insurance, Direct Auto offers Life, Motorcycle, Commerical Auto, and Term Life insurance. If you bundle different types of insurance together, you will obtain a multi-insurance discount.
J.D. Power Review
J.D. Power only gives limited information without a subscription. With smaller companies, they do not provide open information.
A.M. Best Review
A.M Best gives Direct Auto an “Excellent” rating. This is extremely important as they are capable of paying claims in a timely matter especially in the event of a major crisis.
One very important aspect to consider is non-standard auto insurance policies are much more expensive as they cover those the mainstream insurance carriers will not want to insure. With that stated, nearly all customer review websites give Direct Auto Insurance 3 out of 5 stars. Obtaining a 3 out of 5 star rating in the non-standard auto insurance industry is stellar.
Pros & Cons
- Easy to navigate website
- Excellent coverage explanations
- Transparent pricing
- Unique discount offerings
- Flexible billing options (including monthly and annually)
- Variety of coverage options available
- Well-trained customer service agents
- Doesn’t reward its most loyal customers
- Keeps very traditional hours
- Claim estimates are often non-negotiable
- Wait times can be lengthy