The Hartford story first began in 1810 as a fire insurance company. At the time, president Nathaniel Terry built the company with the idea that helping others was a noble commitment worth pursuing. Fifteen years later, they wrote the very first fire insurance policy for a higher education institution- Yale University.
Since its inception 200 years ago, The Hartford has grown to become a premier national insurance company based out of Connecticut. In addition to offering auto insurance, they also specialize in providing home, auto and renters insurance. When it comes to creating lifelong policyholders, The Hartford knows that they must continue in the footsteps of Nathaniel Terry and continue their commitment to helping others.
When it comes to car insurance, The Hartford strives to offer coverage that is fair in pricing yet comprehensive. Policyholders can choose from a wealth of options while enjoying discounts for keeping a clean driving record or having experience behind the wheel.
Types Of Coverages
The Hartford is firm in offering a wealth of coverage options to keep you protected in the event of an accident or issue. Coverage offered by Hartford include:
- Vehicle Collision Coverage: Collision assists in paying any damage done to your car in the event of an accident, be it with another vehicle or a static object
- Non-Collision Damage: Comprehensive. This coverage pays for any “non-collision” damage to your car from things such as storm devastation, crime, or vandalism.
- Full Glass Coverage: This coverage pays the amount of a totally covered glass loss with no deductible.
- Auto Policy Bodily Injury Liability: If you cause an accident and another person is injured, auto policy bodily injury protects you against an economic loss.
- Uninsured-Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- Uninsured-Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
- Personal Umbrella Insurance: If a covered loss exceeds the liability coverage limit on your auto policy umbrella insurance will cover the rest.
- New Car Replacement Coverage: If you happen to total a new vehicle within the first 15 months (or prior to hitting 15,000 miles), the insurer will pay to replace it with a new vehicle of the same make and model.
Does The Hartford Offer Any Discounts On Car Insurance?
Saving money on car insurance premiums is a priority for most customers. After all, keeping a car on the road is expensive enough as is, without the added extras on top. The Hartford offers several options for anyone looking to save a little bit of money on their car insurance policy.
- Home and auto bundle savings
- Paid-in-full discount
- Vehicle anti-theft device
- Completing a defensive driver course
- Hybrid or electric vehicle discount
- Driver training course discount
- Good student (students who maintain a B grade or above)
Keep in mind, even if you are eligible for a discount initially, policy renewals could result in a loss or gain of certain discounts. At the Hartford, policies are renewed on a yearly basis, hence the one-year rate lock feature.
Is The Hartford Highly Rated?
The Hartford is highly ranked on J.D. Power and Associates ranking 6th overall in the nation for overall customer satisfaction, earning 873 out of 1,000 points, beating the average of 868 points. Additionally, Hartford won a Consumer’s Choice Award for being one of the top ten best car insurance companies in 2019. They were also named a Top Regional P&C Insurer by Super Regional/PC Insurers Journal. When it comes to the always valuable A.M. Best rating, the Hartford earns a high grade of A+ (Superior).
What Do Customers Say About The Hartford?
It goes without saying that a car insurance company is nothing without satisfied policyholders. They are the backbone of what makes the industry tick. With that said, what do customers tend to say about Hartford car insurance? Most customers rate Hartford highly, relaying that pricing is fair for the amount of coverage received. On a scale of 1 to 10, a majority of customers would rate their experience as a 10, citing that the company is very honest and that claims are taken care of quickly. Bills are always accurate and on time and they will always notify customers if rates go down. Customer service agents are also seen as being competent and thorough in dealing with claims.
Conversely, some reviewers feel as if the Hartford often comes up short in terms of keeping policy rates low after an accident. Several people have cited rate increases after first-time accidents, even if they were not found to be at fault. Seniors, who often enroll in the Hartford’s AARP program, note that they often feel as if their rates go up with each renewal period. This can be troublesome to seniors on a fixed income who cannot always build a rate-increase into their budgets.
Overall, Hartford offers both strengths and weaknesses. Let’s break it down below.
- Well-trained customer service representatives
- Easy to use website
- Well-explained coverage
- Diverse coverage options
- Flexible billing options
- Transparent pricing
- Highly rated by J.D. Power
- A longstanding commitment to excellence
- Rates can unexpectedly go up at the time of policy renewal
- Not every claim is covered
- Higher premiums compared to comparable insurers
- Rates might go up because of an accident
Historically speaking, The Hartford has a long-standing history of excellence in offering car insurance that is well-priced, comprehensive, and that always holds the interests of the consumer in mind.